Travel Map

Friday, June 25, 2010

Possibilities

I'm always thinking of the future and possibilities.  Perhaps this doesn't allow me to enjoy the present as much as I should.  That said, I'm already looking at my next big break in school, the week before thanksgiving, and where I could possibly go.  Greece is the cheapest destination at under $300....which is amazing.  Malta is also cheap...it's crazy to think that all of these places will now be a few hours away!  I have no idea what's going to happen next summer, if I'll be flying back to the US for various reasons or if I'll be biding my time in Egypt, cramming Arabic.  I kind of hope I could take some grad classes next summer and take Arabic during the regular year.  If I'm in Egypt for the summer, I'll get to travel more places.  I have no idea how I'm going to be funding all of this travel but I'm going to, dammit!  I've always been able to find a way- foregoing bill and other nuisances- in order to experience some adventure.  I'm still hoping I can "hop" over to Ecuador during spring break and meet up with everyone down there for field school, say hello to all my friends in the community and all that.  I don't know when I can get back there otherwise and I do miss everyone. 
Wow, just to think that growing up I would read about "exotic" places and I figured the farthest I would go is Montana.  It all started with a student trip to NY senior year of high school.  Sometimes I feel guilty that my parents haven't gone the same places or gotten to share the same experiences.  My dad was lamenting the other day that he hasn't had the opportunity to live in another country.  However, after watching him and my mother in Mexico, it might be for the best.  Dad wants the scenery but nothing to do with the people...Mom is too scared of anything new to actually enjoy herself.  I hope she'll come visit me.  My parents have finally accepted the fact that I'm going to Egypt for school, but so far my plan is to stay or return for my career.  They might as well come sooner or later, because it's inevitable.  And I think it would be good for my mom to see that all Muslims aren't terrorists.  My dad, however, I hold out little hope.  If he can at least keep his mouth shut and enjoy his time he might learn something. 
After all, Egypt is just some one's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment