Travel Map

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My First Ramadan

This year Ramadan falls on the 1st of August. 
These are the different prayers in Islam; fasting takes place between dawn and sunset.

Fajr (pre-dawn): This prayer starts off the day with the remembrance of God; it is performed before sunrise. 3:45
Dhuhr (noon): After the day's work has begun, one breaks shortly after noon to again remember God and seek His guidance. 12:00
'Asr (afternoon): In the late afternoon, people are usually busy wrapping up the day's work, getting kids home from school, etc. It is an important time to take a few minutes to remember God and the greater meaning of our lives. 3:30
Maghrib (sunset): Just after the sun goes down, Muslims remember God again as the day begins to come to a close. 6:48
'Isha (evening): Before retiring for the night, Muslims again take time to remember God's presence, guidance, mercy, and forgiveness. 8:20
 
 
 
Made it through my first day- that first bite of date was the sweetest thing I’ve ever eaten.   The hardest part today was the thirst,  not the hunger.  I’ve had half a liter of water and some daal and I’m too full.
Just had sahoor with ppl on the street- pretty cool.   I'm going to try to learn from yesterday and drink a lot of water before I go to sleep and hopefully fare better tomorrow without the dehydration.  Also, I want to flesh out this whole experience, I just don't have the energy right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment